Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Drahn Paul Drahn is offline

Default PVC Pipe and Fittings--White, Gray, etc.

On 3/11/2014 11:39 AM, wrote:
I have the exact same problem, but Im not talking just 2 PVC nipples, I am developing a leak detection and auto shut off system that will be manufactured in volume. Each unit uses 3 schedule 80 PVC nipples and when you build even 25 units, the cost savings are tremendous over brass or other materials- right now we are planning on production runs of 100, so this cost savings is even more important.

Now, at Home Depot, I can get these 4" PVC Grey nipples that have the tag "OUTDOOR USE ONLY" for $0.79. I can get the same sch 80 4" nipples from McMaster-Carr for $1.56. The only difference is McMaster says their piping is NSF 61 certified for use with drinking (potable) water.

Obviously on my product, I will choose the latter just to be safe since my product will have drinking water running through it. However, I want to know why I am paying more...Is the only difference the certification itself, where McMaster has to up their price to cover extra cost of certifying their products, or is their an actual difference in material or manufacturing process that makes the Home Depot nipples not safe for potable water applications??? Or is the "OUTDOOR USE ONLY" statement merely there so people don't bust a leak inside their homes, and it is OK to run potable water through these nipples as long as its outside?? You would think that if it was unsafe for drinking water, they would have a specific tag just for that. I mean people drink outside too right???

Thoughts?

The probable difference is in the amount of vinyl chloride that will be
released by the cheap plastic.

Paul