Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertMacy RobertMacy is offline

Default How not to get stuck in snow

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 08:01:12 -0700, DerbyDad03
wrote:

...snip....

I also think that one of the reasons I don't mind backing in is because I
don't mind driving in reverse. I'll back up "long" distances every now
and
then just to stay in practice. I've driven in reverse around entire
blocks
on occasion. I'll admit that I'm not as adapt at high speed reverse
driving
as when I was younger, but I can still back a vehicle into (and through)
some pretty tight areas regardless of whether or not multiple turns are
required. Some drivers are just not very skilled at driving in reverse
and
I feel it's because they never purposely practice.

The trick is to ALWAYS look in reverse, never change back to looking front
while driving backwards. And, sometimes moving your hand to the inside at
the bottom of the wheel helps [or such], but I think that type crutch will
ultimately mislead the brain and is fraught with peril.

No matter how you cut it, driving backwards is ultimately unstable. Rear
wheel steering just is not good. Like trying to land a 'tail dragger'
airplane, all is well until you're below 'flying' speed and then watch out.