Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How not to get stuck in snow

On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 21:14:28 +0100, nestork
wrote:

About 5 years ago I had my parking lot repaved. The paving company
intentionally put a shallow slope in the asphalt so that rain and snow
melt would run off the parking lot. But, the slope we're talking about
is only about 1/8 of an inch per foot; about half of what's required for
drain piping.

But, every year I get several tenants knocking on my door and asking for
shovels and ice chippers and salt because their cars are stuck in the
snow in their parking stall. And, I've finally figured it out.

Tenants won't bother to remove the clumps of ice or hard packed snow
that forms behind their wheel wells. As long as the car is in motion,
convection removes the heat from the body of the car. But, when they
park their cars, the heat from the interior of the car warms the body of
the car, and these clumps of ice fall off BEHIND their wheels. So,
then, when they want to get out of their parking stalls, those clumps of
ice act like wheel blocks to prevent the car from moving, and their
wheels just spin and dig holes in the snow.

So, if you live in a climate where snow collects into massive
stallagtites behind each of your car's wheels, use a hatchet or
something to cut those things off before you park your car. Then, when
you next put your car in reverse to pull out of your parking stall,
there won't be those blocks of ice behind your wheels to prevent your
car from moving.

You talkin' about them Road Turds???