Tony

Default House purchase & existing damp proof course

Thanks for all the comments guys, they are VERY much appreciated!
But!...

Basically I'm trying to figure out what possible outcomes there might be (I
know...it's time to get out the crystal ball!).
I'm aware of the basic facts about damp-proof courses etc. (up to a level of
being informed about it - no more!) but I'm in a position whereby I have
different reports and conflicting views.
Perhaps it's best to elaborate a little.

Mortgage survey stated "Evidence of damp on front & rear walls - suggest
this is inspected by an independant advisor"

Ok, so it's the basic mortgage valuation with very minimal info (I've
gathered that damp appears to be a common statement on mortgage valuations).
The mortgage surveyor seems to be aware that a previous damp proof course
has been installed and has said it's upto my conveyancer to seek guarantees
(which they have, see later).

A previous, prospective, buyer had an independant survey done in September
2003 (which I was given copies of by the estate agent) that stated: "Partial
chemical damp proof course to both side walls (adjoining neighbouring
properties).
(Note. SIDE walls, not front and rear as suggested by the surveyor - no
mention of treatment need on front or rear walls).

Now my conveyancers have turned up the 30 year guarantee for work done in
1982 that said the house had a COMPLETE damp proof course.

Now either I get in touch with the conveyancers and ask them to consult the
original company that did the work in 1982 and see if the damp proof IS
required and if it's because there's been a failure in the original work.
If the original company says there's no need for another damp proof then one
or both of the others is telling porkies!
I don't own the house yet (haven't exchanged contracts yet) so I definately
don't own the 30 year guarantee yet (even if it IS transferrable).

The point I suppose I'm trying to make is:
Why is a company offering to do a damp course on a property thats already
had one and is still covered by a 30 year guarantee?!!
Why doesn't the original company fix it (assuming it DOES require another
damp proof!)?!
Why should I pay for a damp-proof course when the existing one is still
guaranteed?!

Does something seem not right here?
Any pointers anyone?!
All advise greatly appreciated,