Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I offset a bathtub drain when I put in a wider bathtub?

On Monday, March 10, 2014 1:37:13 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 22:02:13 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 3/8/2014 9:03 PM, micky wrote:

While I'm in my bathroom, I noticed that I could replace the bathtub

with one that is two inches deeper. That would make for better baths.

I could also, without even going past the tile, get a tub that is two

inches wider. The problem with that is that the drain in the tub

would then be half that distance (1 inch) from the drain in the house.

It might not be the same distance from the wall where my feet go, also,

unless that is totally standardized. ???????

Do they have a simple remedy for offsetting a bathtub drain an inch or

maybe more? This is the most important question in this post!!

Any other reason why not to put in deeper or wider bathtub? 2nd most.

Do I need to reinforce the floor under the tub?

First step it to find out the drain location on the new tub. You can

probably get the specs on line. They are standard to fit the same

location when you replace them Is there a way you can access the

existing drain now?

No, not without taking the tub out, or ripping out the dining room

ceiling below. On the other side of the wall from the tub valves is

a shower stall.

Which means depending on how the piping is routed, you might not
have access to enough pipe to effect the necessary work from
above. If the pipe runs from tub, to trap, to shower, to sewer,
then you'd only have a little bit of pipe, under the tub that
accessible when the tub is removed. I'd say good chance you'd
have to be prepared to get access from below.