Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Can I offset a bathtub drain when I put in a wider bathtub?

On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 22:02:13 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 3/8/2014 9:03 PM, micky wrote:
While I'm in my bathroom, I noticed that I could replace the bathtub
with one that is two inches deeper. That would make for better baths.

I could also, without even going past the tile, get a tub that is two
inches wider. The problem with that is that the drain in the tub
would then be half that distance (1 inch) from the drain in the house.

It might not be the same distance from the wall where my feet go, also,
unless that is totally standardized. ???????

Do they have a simple remedy for offsetting a bathtub drain an inch or
maybe more? This is the most important question in this post!!

Any other reason why not to put in deeper or wider bathtub? 2nd most.

Do I need to reinforce the floor under the tub?

First step it to find out the drain location on the new tub. You can
probably get the specs on line. They are standard to fit the same
location when you replace them Is there a way you can access the
existing drain now?

No, not without taking the tub out, or ripping out the dining room
ceiling below. On the other side of the wall from the tub valves is
a shower stall.

OTOH, it's one of 100 townhouses so the design they strove for was
probably simple, and I don't expect anything very complicated.

You may be able to see if there is a way to move
the drain a bit. There is always a way if you have enough time and money.

I have time, and I have some money.

A couple of months ago I took the tub out and replaced it with a shower
pan and made a large shower 32 x 60. No one has taken a tub bath for
years and this makes access much easier. Only a 2" step to go over.

Yes, I've thought that when I'm really old the tub hurdle might be a
problem, and I want to make it 2" higher.

I have a shower too if I can't use the tub. The bigger problem might be
getting to the second floor! or the basement. The stairs are broken
into 2 parts with a landing, U shaped, so I can't see one of those
stair-chairs. I think it would be quicker to crawl.

When I was home from the hospital 5 years ago, after a big abdominal
incision, I had a hard time sitting up. I got a friend to take a piece
of wood, a 1x2 inche by 3 feet, drill a hole in one end and run some
cotton clothes line through it. It worked fine at home and when I went
into the hospital 4 months later to finish the surgery, I took it there
too. I ttuffed it under the hospital mattress and I could pull on the
clothes line to sit up. The hospital didn't complain about germs or
anything.

When my mother was 87, she used a backless chair in the tub. With two
legs outside the tub maybe. Sat down when she was outside, then lifted
each leg to get inside, but still couldn't lower herself to the floor of
the tub.

Maybe I can come up with a fabric seat and a block and tackle screwed
into the ceiling. to get myself in and out of the bathtub.

The shower is ceramic tile, the walls half way up. Glass door 3/8"
thick. We love it.

Very nice.