Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Kristian Ukkonen Kristian Ukkonen is offline

Default Gold Plating Plastic

On 3/10/2014 1:24, Hul Tytus wrote:
You might search via google for "electro less" plating. This is,
reportedly, a misnomer that referes to a non external electrical process.
Copper and nickel varieties, and I believe I've heard reference to gold
types, exist.

Billy Wains wrote:
Is there an affordable way to DIY gold plate plastic?

Needs to be gold plating, can be stingy, ok to use some kind of base coat or
base layer. A little extra work and or creative scrounging is ok, but the
base cost of kit, chemicals, materials needs to be kept low.

You would need several layers to get finally to gold.
Perhaps start with something like stannous chloride,
then silver nitrate, then gold with electroless bath..

http://chlorine.americanchemistry.co...vering-Mirrors

http://www2.bren.ucsb.edu/~dturney/p...troless/15.pdf

The coating propably includes nasty chemicals..

One kit that looks promising
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czTjYlsct_k
but costs quite a lot.

I would get the parts coated at a local goldsmith.
I have done that a decade ago and the cost was very reasonable.
He used a cyanide bath that made the gold coating durable and non-porous.

Kristian Ukkonen.