Daryl Biberdorf

Default Ideas for quieting the Craftsman 21715 15" lathe?

I've scanned and uploaded some pictures from the
manual showing the drive mechanism in the Craftsman
lathe.

This is the side view with the cover off:
http://www.paradosis.com/pics/lathe/side_view.pdf

This is an exploded view and parts list of the entire thing:
http://www.paradosis.com/pics/lathe/exploded.pdf
http://www.paradosis.com/pics/lathe/parts_list.pdf

You can see that power comes from the shaft connected
to parts 49 and 50 (transmission pulley and drive
belt), going through the lower pulley (24 and 25),
connected via the V belt (6) to the upper pulley
(5 and 8), which drives the spindle.

These PDFs were produced with GhostScript/RedMon.
For some reason, my most recent set up of this results in
lines in the output when printed. They don't obscure
anything, but any ideas as to why this is happening
are appreciated.

Daryl

Daryl Biberdorf wrote:
I'm a new woodturner with the "new" Craftsman 21715
15" lathe. (I think it's well worth its best buy status
in the American Woodworker issue last December or so.)
The only complaint I've got so far is the fact that it's
not the quietest lathe around. It's about the same volume
as the agitation cycle on a top-loading washing machine.
The lathe is mounted a longish bench, which is amplifying
the sound a bit due to resonance. That's not a problem
in my garage, where the lathe is now.

However, I'm about to move far, far away to an apartment,
where the lathe will have to go in the basement storage
area. There, I'm concerned that the noise might be bothersome
to the apartment that has a common wall with the basement
some 10 to 15 feet away.

I've considered placing some rubber pad between the lathe
and its bench to isolate it a bit from the bench.
Alternatively, I've considered using linked belts on its
Reeves drive mechanism to see if that helps.

Does anyone have any experience with these ideas or further
suggestions? I hate to give up my big lathe for a Jet mini
(which is whisper quiet), but I don't want to get my
neighbors upset with me. I'm trying to be the best neighbor
I can be.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Daryl