Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.wireless,sci.electronics.repair
DevilsPGD[_2_] DevilsPGD[_2_] is offline

Default How to set up a spare Linksys WRT54Gv2 as a wired access point network extender

In the last episode of
dhosting.com, Liam
O'Connor said:

On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 09:54:07 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

Having same SSID is not a good idea like two houses having same
address. It'll work but can cause confusion.

I had been wondering about having the same SSID versus
having two different SSIDs.

On the one hand, having the same SSID (but on different
channels at leasat 5 channels apart) allows for seamless
switching to the strongest signal (one would hope).

I'm not sure what the disadvantage is of having the
same SSID though, at least not in my wired configuration.

NOTE: It's confusing, to me, how the same SSID operates
in a wireless repeater situation; but mine is wired.

It's actually a bit more complicated: Do the access points form one
network, or two? Do you get the same IP on each, and if so, can you ping
machines on the other network?

If so, using the same SSID is appropriate, but if not, you should use a
different SSID so that the device knows to obtain a DHCP lease, clear
the ARP cache and otherwise reconfigure itself to the subtle differences
between networks.

The practical difference is fairly insignificant, although devices do
obvious jump between two access points with the same SSID far more
frequently than to a new SSID.

--
Getting married for sex is like buying a 747 for the free peanuts
-- Jeff Foxworthy