Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Genesys Genesys is offline

Default iPhone ring "repair"

On Sunday, March 9, 2014 8:35:15 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4085

I hope you understand all that. I certainly do not.

I couldn't find any such operational detail for the iPhone 4S.

Having that on an iPhone would be nice, but it's iPad only for some reason. I've had others ask about this as well. There are ways to accomplish this through jailbreaking, but I've never used any of them.

I was working on the assumption that the phone had this problem:

http://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/972122

I've seen plenty of devices with a bad switch before...the switch seems rather prone to breaking. In fact, my iPad's slide switch often thinks it's set to un-muted when it's muted. Wiggling it always fixes it.

I was tempted to mention that the award winning glass and stainless

design of the Apple iPhone 4 requires a hideous rubber and plastic

cover to protect it. The only time anyone sees the award winning

design is when they buy it, and when they sell it. If Apple had

designed the iPhone 4 with a built-in rubber bumper (as part of the

case), and a throw away plastic screen cover, it would probably have

won the worst looking smartphone award. Equally amazing is the

general acceptance of the buying public to purchase a really nice

looking smartphone, and then hide it under protective covers for the

duration of its useful life.

I've always been amazed by that as well. We spend all this money on a phone that looks great, then hide it in covers so it won't get damaged. Despite how silly it is, iPhones (and cases) still sell like crazy....