Posted to alt.home.repair
philo [_2_] philo [_2_] is offline

Default Switch For Fan/Heater Unit On 20A Circuit

On 03/09/2014 01:29 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

snip

Regarding the FS-100 Humidity Sensing switch:

The only rating I see for the FS-100 humidity sensing switch is "Maximum
Fan Load: 1/8th hp or 3 amps".

1 - Do I need to be concerned as to whether the switch is rated for 15A
or 20A?

2 - Since I will be using 12-2 w/ground for the 20A circuit, do I need
to run 12-2 to this switch also, regardless of it's rating?

The wires going to the fan switch do not have tp be rated at 20 amps. 15
amp wiring is OK

Obviously this switch will only be used for the fan portion of the unit,
which would normally only require a 15A circuit, but I'm not sure how
the wiring rules deals with the switch and/or switch leg for a 20A
circuit. Note: this switch requires a neutral wire, so space in the box
may also be an issue, especially if I need to use 12g.

Regarding the FSR-500 2 function toggle switch:

The website says these 3 things:

- Compatible with ALL makers of Fans, Lights, Heaters
- Best for use with: a fan/light combination, a fan/heater
combination, or a 2-speed fan
- Maximum Total Load: 15 amps

1 - So, if the fan/heater unit itself requires a 20A circuit, am I
allowed to use a switch rated for 15A?

The heater will of course require a 20 amp switch or more. You'd never
want to use a 15 amp switch for a 15 amp load.