Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03[_4_] DerbyDad03[_4_] is offline

Default Switch For Fan/Heater Unit On 20A Circuit

I have some questions related to the switches that can/should be used
for a fan/heater combination unit.

I want to install a Panasonic FV-11VH2 in my bathroom. The unit requires
a 20A circuit, which I assume is because of the heater. I will be
pulling a dedicated 20A circuit using 12-2 w/ground from the basement to
the attic for this unit, but I'm a tad confused about the switches.

On this page there are 2 switches that I am considering. One of them is
a humidity sensing switch (FS-100), the other is a 2 function toggle
switch (FSR-500).

http://www.dewstop.com/

I'm not sure which switch I want to use. Obviously if I use the FS-100
for the fan, I'll need a separate switch for the heater. If I decide to
forgo the humidity sensor, I'll use the FSR-500, assuming it's OK to use
based on my questions below.

Here are my questions:

Regarding the FS-100 Humidity Sensing switch:

The only rating I see for the FS-100 humidity sensing switch is "Maximum
Fan Load: 1/8th hp or 3 amps".

1 - Do I need to be concerned as to whether the switch is rated for 15A
or 20A?

2 - Since I will be using 12-2 w/ground for the 20A circuit, do I need
to run 12-2 to this switch also, regardless of it's rating?

Obviously this switch will only be used for the fan portion of the unit,
which would normally only require a 15A circuit, but I'm not sure how
the wiring rules deals with the switch and/or switch leg for a 20A
circuit. Note: this switch requires a neutral wire, so space in the box
may also be an issue, especially if I need to use 12g.

Regarding the FSR-500 2 function toggle switch:

The website says these 3 things:

- Compatible with ALL makers of Fans, Lights, Heaters
- Best for use with: a fan/light combination, a fan/heater
combination, or a 2-speed fan
- Maximum Total Load: 15 amps

1 - So, if the fan/heater unit itself requires a 20A circuit, am I
allowed to use a switch rated for 15A?

2 - Do the wires need to be 12g to the switch? (I'm pretty sure I know
that answer to but I just want to make sure.)

Thanks.