Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can a bathroom fan be too big?

On Sunday, March 9, 2014 9:58:06 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
micky wrote:

On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 20:35:19 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 19:50:44 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Sat, 8 Mar 2014 23:05:34 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

wrote:

If the calculations for a bathroom exhaust fan (cubic feet + equivalent

duct length) indicate an 80 CFM fan, is there any issue with using a 110

CFM fan?

Only problem is it will suck out more heat from your house, but it

will also get rid of the stink or excess moisture from the shower

faster. I have an 80 CFM and it works for us.

Be sure to get a quiet one. Panasonic has some of the best for noise.

I just crack the window an inch before jumping in the shower and

there is NO humidity problem (particularly when it's -23c outside)

I thought bathroom fans were only required, and maybe only installed,

when there was no window. This the first place I've ever lived without

a window in the bathroom, and I don't like it.

They may be required if there is no window, but they are certainly

_installed_ in many bathrooms that have windows.

I have a fan now but SWMBO wants a heater also, so I'm replacing it. Yes, I

will be running a dedicated 20A circuit.

Certainly all the bathrooms around these parts (NJ) that I've seen
that have been built in the last 30+ years have fans in the
bathrooms whether they have windows or not.

I don't see any problem with going with the larger fan.
It's not like you are making it 5X or something. And as I'm
sure you already know, you definitely want to spend a little
more for a quiet one. They have displays at HD or Lowes as
I recall where you can hear the difference. It's sad too what
builders get away with. Here they are building $1mil homes with
the cheapest, noisest crap fans. They probably cost about $35.
For $50 you can get one that makes half the noise and
for $70 one that is super quiet. So, they cut cost on that whole
house, 4 fans, by $60 to $140 and the owner winds up with crap.

For things that are more personal preference and easy to
change, eg light fixtures, I don't have such a beef with.
But a noisy bathroom fan isn't easy to fix. In most cases,
you have to rip the ceiling open to replace it. I have recently
seen an upgrade kit in one of the stores that fits some models,
where you can retrofit it, but I suspect that only fits a
small segment of the problem ones. And I don't even understand
why the builder thinks this makes sense for them. I'd put in
the better fan and then feature that as a selling point, show
them that as an example of why you're house is better, etc.
There are a bunch of similar things like that a builder could
do that I think buyers would appreciate and it would help them
sell the house and at a better price.