Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Can a bathroom fan be too big?

micky wrote:
On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 20:35:19 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 19:50:44 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Sat, 8 Mar 2014 23:05:34 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

If the calculations for a bathroom exhaust fan (cubic feet + equivalent
duct length) indicate an 80 CFM fan, is there any issue with using a 110
CFM fan?

Only problem is it will suck out more heat from your house, but it
will also get rid of the stink or excess moisture from the shower
faster. I have an 80 CFM and it works for us.

Be sure to get a quiet one. Panasonic has some of the best for noise.

I just crack the window an inch before jumping in the shower and
there is NO humidity problem (particularly when it's -23c outside)

I thought bathroom fans were only required, and maybe only installed,
when there was no window. This the first place I've ever lived without
a window in the bathroom, and I don't like it.

They may be required if there is no window, but they are certainly
_installed_ in many bathrooms that have windows.

I have a fan now but SWMBO wants a heater also, so I'm replacing it. Yes, I
will be running a dedicated 20A circuit.