Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Can I offset a bathtub drain when I put in a wider bathtub?

On 3/8/2014 9:03 PM, micky wrote:
While I'm in my bathroom, I noticed that I could replace the bathtub
with one that is two inches deeper. That would make for better baths.

I could also, without even going past the tile, get a tub that is two
inches wider. The problem with that is that the drain in the tub
would then be half that distance (1 inch) from the drain in the house.

It might not be the same distance from the wall where my feet go, also,
unless that is totally standardized. ???????

Do they have a simple remedy for offsetting a bathtub drain an inch or
maybe more? This is the most important question in this post!!

Any other reason why not to put in deeper or wider bathtub? 2nd most.

Do I need to reinforce the floor under the tub?

First step it to find out the drain location on the new tub. You can
probably get the specs on line. They are standard to fit the same
location when you replace them Is there a way you can access the
existing drain now? You may be able to see if there is a way to move
the drain a bit. There is always a way if you have enough time and money.

A couple of months ago I took the tub out and replaced it with a shower
pan and made a large shower 32 x 60. No one has taken a tub bath for
years and this makes access much easier. Only a 2" step to go over.

The shower is ceramic tile, the walls half way up. Glass door 3/8"
thick. We love it.