Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I offset a bathtub drain when I put in a wider bathtub?

On Saturday, March 8, 2014 9:03:59 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
While I'm in my bathroom, I noticed that I could replace the bathtub

with one that is two inches deeper. That would make for better baths.

I could also, without even going past the tile, get a tub that is two

inches wider. The problem with that is that the drain in the tub

would then be half that distance (1 inch) from the drain in the house.

It might not be the same distance from the wall where my feet go, also,

unless that is totally standardized. ???????

Do they have a simple remedy for offsetting a bathtub drain an inch or

maybe more? This is the most important question in this post!!

Whether it's simple or not would depend on what we don't
know. If when you take the tub out, the trap and pipes
are right there in front of you between joists, it could
be just cutting a PVC pipe and putting in a new trap.
Or it could be that a joist is in the way of where the
new drain has to go. Or it could be that the trap heads off
in the other direction under a wall, etc where you can't
get to it. Or it could be that it;s a slab, there are
no joists and it's buried in concrete.

Any other reason why not to put in deeper or wider bathtub? 2nd most.

Do I need to reinforce the floor under the tub?

If it's standard sound construction that small change shouldn't
require reinforcing anything. If it's not, or you find
that the plumbers cut the joists all up, then yes.