Leif Thorvaldson

Default Bowl Turning Tear-out Problem ? ? ?

I guess I am just too impatient! *G* Actually, I haven't done any inside
the bowl scraping in a while. I still use cabinet scrapers on the outside
of the bowl occasionally.

Leif
"Sawblade" wrote in message
. ..
Actually Leif, I did not use the cabinet scraper when the lathe was

running.
I locked the spindle and scraped a section then unlocked, moved it by hand
to get to another section of the bowl and relocked the spindle. It is

fairly
slow, but faster than sandpaper and leaves a nicer finish in my opinion.

Link to the scrapers:

http://www.fine-tools.com/zieh.htm

--
Sawblade
(use SWBell to fix address)

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message
Been there, done that! Watch out for catches! Wear gloves and turn at

low
speeds!

Leif
"Sawblade" wrote in message
om...
Snip

How do I get rid of the tear out? Any
suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Well, it is not using a turning tool, but in a former life (as a
regular woodworker) I had a lot of success with cabinet scrapers - you
know those flat pieces of metal with a small burr raised on the edge.
They make some that have a curved edge on them, and although it may be
cheating (grin) I have found that they are often my best bet for
removing torn grain on the inside of a bowl. I had some poplar (I
know, I know - but it was free) that I was using to turn some bowls
and practice thin turning with and the chatter and tear out was really
tough till I tried the cabinet scrapers. Hope this helps!

Sawblade