Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts[_2_] Jeremy Nicoll - news posts[_2_] is offline

Default OT USB hard drive

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

If unused for a while, the hard drives in my PC power themselves down,

They do? I could imagine that they might spin down (ie stop rotating) and
therefore reduce their power consumption, but I'd expect their controllers
to stay powered-up, so that they could initiate a spin-up when the next I/O
request comes along.

so I rather expected there might be some way to achieve that with the
Buffalo drive. It seems silly to have it running continuously if it is not
being used, but where the router and Buffalo are located, is not easily
accessed and some way away. Is there some way too set such a drive too
self power down after a period of inactivity please?

I'd have thought the Buffalo drive would also spin down, but if it powers
off how would you then get it back on again?

I've a router with some sort of NAS capabilty (which I've not explored). One
of the problems with that, so far as I can see, is that if one plans to
switch off an attached drive one first has to dismount it from the router's
OS - which in practice means using a browser to login to the router,
navigating to the disk-controller page, and choosing 'dismount'. It's not
something I'd do very often...

to replacing "aaa" by "284".