Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default ADSL over coax (AKA I don't know anything about ADSL)

In article , Mike
Humphrey scribeth thus
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

FTTC is only a stopgap anyway. In the end we need full symmetric 100Mbps
or better. if ethernet over (two) twisted pairs is the next best thing
one wonders whey its not being pushed harder.

Well we have VM's 30 meg service and really no complaints at all.
Richard and that runner lightning mate of his tell that its up to 60 in
the summer for the same price so can't grumble..

Ethernet over twisted pair only goes 100m - and it needs to be a
high-quality twisted pair (at least cat 5) not phone wire. If you're
going to install fibre to within 100m of the premises, and replace the
drop wire, then you might as well just take the fibre all the way.
That's available now, Openreach will happily provide 10M or 100M
symmetrical Ethernet - but you might not like the price!

No.. they do know how to charge for that after all why on business
estates implement FTTC when you can charge a lot more for leased
lines;?..

Mike

Bin there dun just that. The 88 odd metres of CAT 5 we had in an
underground duct was shall we say, subject to rather slow running more
than anything else. Fixed up Fibre and it now goes at err the speed of
light...

--
Tony Sayer