Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Is a UL listing mandatory for specialized electrical equipment?

On Fri, 7 Mar 2014 10:27:00 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

Nothing like wondering if you're going to have to draw down on a
"houseguest" like that. Had it happen once with someone who actually
refused to leave. Apparently some people don't know the rules concerning
visitors to private property and that when asked to leave, they have to or
else very bad things can happen. To them.

My advice, and it applies to girls too when a guy won't leave, is to
say, "I have to call a buddy" or "I have to call a my friend, Sue",
but really call 911. One can dial 4 or 7 more numbers after 911 and it
won't change anything, I'm sure. And the first thing out of one's
mouth when on the phone should be the name and an identifier or
descriptor (like, the guy who lives two doors down), in case he takes
the phone away and starts to hit you, before you get to the part of the
sentence with his name., but as one were talking to a friend and not
the police. Don't do this with speakerphone and hold the phone close
to the ear so he probably won't hear.

"Joe Blip is here, the guy who works at Western Electric, and he's blah
blah. Maybe if you came over and he could tell us/show us both at the
same time, he'd feel his visit was worthwhile" or whatever.

In the movies, the girl always turns her back on the guy who won't
leave, and that makes sense if she's going to say, "Can you send a
policeman here right now" but if one uses code, she can face the
intruder and dodge him when he starts to strangle her.

I had one guy who refused to leave arrested. I called the cops and told
them I had an "unwelcome guest" and he was stupid enough to refuse an order

Wow

from the cops to leave when they arrived. I should be clear that it wasn't
a contractor, but a neighbor in the middle of a serious domestic dispute.