Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default HP IC, Unobtanium ?

"Michael Black" wrote in message
xample.org...
On Fri, 7 Mar 2014, William Sommerwerck wrote:

One way to determine whether the 'scope uses magnetic or electrostatic
deflection is to look at the specs. They'll probably indicate the
deflection type.

If not, look at the bandwidth. It's unlikely a magnetically deflected
'scope would have a bandwidth much greater than 100kHz.

You mean like those plans in the back of the magazine to convert a TV set to
an oscilliscope?

No. I remember commercial magnetically deflected oscilloscopes. I think HP
made one. But don't hold me to that. I think their purpose was (as you
suggest) to get a large display not possible with electrostatic deflection
(which would have required extremely high deflection voltages).