Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Circuit panel safety question

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 23:56:27 -0500, micky
wrote:

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 16:12:24 -0800, Oren wrote:

I've read that DC contracts your muscles and you cannot let go. AC
pulsates, with a chance to break away.

BUT don't take my advice.

Well, I've gotten 110 AC several times (and one time I figured out that
my train transformer was broken, becuase I'd opened it up and had been
handling it for an hour and never got a shock, even though I had
forgotten to unplug it. The plug was broken from the wire.)

And I once got 2000 volts DC, from a television. I didn't hold on and
it knocked me across the room and dislocated a shoulder than hadn't been
out for 15 years. I might have been on my haunches instead of my knees.
That was a violation of Philo's or Robert's rules. I was being careful
and don't even know what I touched.

The beauty of a colour TV (CRT) is you didn't HAVE to touch
anything. With 6000volts you just had to get CLOSE. 6000 was on B&W
sets - big colour sets can be as high as 25000+

I had a REAL old TV transformer straighten me out real quick - and at
6"I was taller than the basement ceiling height. My hard head drove a
nail (head) up through the linoleum flooring , hitting it on the sharp
end from below.