Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Bleeding LCD displays

Ian Field wrote:

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

"Leif Neland" wrote in message
F?lgende er skrevet af Phil Hobbs:

When I was a kid, I used to get dead TVs and take them apart for the
components. To get rid of the picture tubes, I put them in a
Rubbermaid
trash can and shot out the faceplate with my slingshot.

As a kid I unwrapped the capacitors to find the interesting stuff inside
all that wrapping paper. Never found anything, though... :-)

When I was a kid, someone gave me a regen set in a very grand wooden
cabinet.

When I'd finished breaking it - it was time to take it apart and see
what's
in it.

In a compartment under the one the chassis was in, there was a huge flat
profile paper capacitor - one that big could only have been the HT
reservoir.

Think of all the things I could've got up to with that if I hadn't
unraveled
it!

I dragged a huge transformer out of a TV set to grade school once to show
people the huge sparks that could be drawn off one winding with a 9 volt
battery. It was actually a fairly fat and impressive arc. The transformer
was eventually confiscated. Boo.

Those old mains derived EHT transformers were probably even more lethal than
a MO transformer.

For a B&W TV, 6 - 7kV was about average - not sure whether any CTV ever had
mains derived EHT.

It was some sort of large gooped up with tar EI core thingy with one super
high inductance winding. I still have no idea how it worked in a
television. If they made 6-7kv was there then some sort of diode and cap
multiplier to run the CRT?

The "oldest" TVs I sort of recall the inside of were Zenith consoles with
remanufactured module system with the bizarro rectangular connectors and
constantly changing color circuit boards.