Posted to rec.woodworking

Default FFFFFFF

On Thu, 6 Mar 2014 23:17:05 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

"woodchucker" wrote in message
news
Found another mirror to use finally. Still haven't found the inspection
mirror....

When I was a kid I built a couple muzzleloaders in my bedroom. One of them
was a nearly useless little single shot pistol that I think was called a New
Orleans Ace. While trying to get the main spring, main spring strut, hammer,
and hammer cross pin in place things slipped on me. The spring and strut
went flying. I found the spring right away but could not find the strut...

During my search I literally took everything out of the room carefully
inspecting everything as I did so. When I say I was removing everything I
mean everything... I got to the point where the bed, desk, dresser, rug,
etc. was gone and the only things left in the room were the ceiling light
and the curtains. I finally found the strut in the bottom hem of the curtain
on the opposite wall about 10 feet from where I was working! I guess the
upside was that everything in the room got a good dusting and was put away
in an orderly fashion! LOL

John
...that was a good 40 years ago. I wonder how much jail time a high school
kid would get today for building a working pistol and having explosives
(i.e, black powder) ?? Hard to call it progress...

We made a long gun out of sched 40 water pipe with a threaded on
cap, drilled to allow the wick of a 2" firecracker to stick through.
We loaded it with a wad of rag and marbles or ball bearings. Aimed it
up at the water tower and lit the wick - bounced the shot off the
water tower.(almost a block away) Over 40 years ago. Like almost 50
(I was likely about 14 at the time.)