Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Thermally protected outlets

"bud--" wrote in message news:530ea8ce$0$55711$c3e8da3

stuff snipped

[ http://www.bsafeelectrix.com/faq.htm ]

If they work like the web page says they should increase the protection.
(I don't think a very high percentage of failures are glowing
connections at a receptacle.)

As you probably read, if they trip they can't be reset.

Worse than that, it appears you can't even buy them. They list Smarthome as
a distributor but they don't seem to sell them. I'll call around in the AM.

I wanted to get a few for testing for a Hometoys article to see whether the
thermal outlet or the AFCI outlet upstream (if either) would trip if I
plugged in a 1500W space heater into one of a (preburned g) outlet strip's
remaining good outlets part way. That's what's cause two outlet meltdowns
so far - accidental partial insertions - so I know there's a need for the
protection.

The question is whether it will actually do what it says. If it exists.
That 2010 date on the website gives me a queasy feeling . . .

--
Bobby G.