Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Is a UL listing mandatory for specialized electrical equipment?

wrote in message

stuff snipped

We have one inspector in this jurisdiction who's a real SOB. Some of

them
like to go beyond checking for a safe installation and wander into the
harrassment zone. Of course, when I grew up in NYC the inspectors would
pretty openly solicit bribes, so I guess it could always be worse. (-:]

Apparently at least some NYC inspectors are following in the grand old
tradition:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...-big-house-bri

bes-article-1.1549898

I can honestly say bribes are very rare around here.

I think it's mostly a big city problem. My Chicagoland friend tells me his
dad used to leave folded $20s stuck in places the inspector was sure to find
and they always disappeared without comment but with final approval
stickers.

I guess bribing inspectors to overlook violations still does not keep
the lawyers away and there are to many ways to seek recourse if the
inspector is just making up a violation to get a bribe.

The guy in the Daily News article was a junkie so it's apparent that the
inspection bureau's a little lax in inspecting their own workers.

A long, LONG time ago when I worked installing restaurant software systems,
the DC inspectors were notorious for taking bribes because even a day's
shutdown could have such serious consequences for the owners. A lot of it
was "iffy" sort of stuff that a different inspector could easily overlook.
I'm betting that the world of microcameras and video recorders have really
slowed down the inspectors that take bribes because once you get one of them
on film taking money, you basically own them. (-: For every tall wall,
there's a taller ladder somewhere.

--
Bobby G.