Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Is a UL listing mandatory for specialized electrical equipment?

wrote in message

stuff snipped

In SW Florida, Lee County particularly, there is not much emphasis on
catching homeowners doing unpermitted activity. They do try to catch
unlicensed or unpermitted activity by 3d parties but this is more in
the vein of consumer protection than revenue. Generally it is
complaint driven or, occasionally, an inspector will see a job in
progress and there is no permit on record or the trucks do not have a
license number on them.

I've seen that happen to a number of house-flippers on the various "Flip
This House" TV shows, especially concerning outside work like redoing steps
leading up to the house.

You still have the right to refuse entry into your house without a
warrant and they seldom ask unless they can just cajole you into
thinking having them taking a look at the work you are having done is
a good thing.

Yeah, that's like cops trying to convince a suspect to "get ahead of this
thing" before you get into real trouble. Don't believe it!

The "contractor" himself is still subject to being accosted when he
comes outside and they can call the sheriff if the guy is hard to get
along with. Generally this will just be an administrative action if
the guy has a license.

That's a big IF.

This is separated from the tax man.

I'd like to get "separated from the tax man." Permanently!

That is a separate agency that
uses aerial photos and biannual on site inspections to get their
money. If you can see it outside the house, it will show up on your
tax bill, even if nobody ever mentions it to you.

Been there, done that with the damn central AC that I no longer even use.
One year I challenged my assessment and boy oh boy did they ever lace into
me with every inspector/inspection they could think of. The "message" was
"don't challenge us - EVER!"

--
Bobby G.