Posted to alt.home.repair
james james is offline

Default Taper Between Door Jamb and Wall

On Wed, 5 Mar 2014 18:53:44 -0600, DanG wrote
(in article ):

On 3/5/2014 6:06 PM, James wrote:
Hi,

I installed a prehung door in my bathroom. It is square and plumb. After
installing the casing I noticed that the space between the lock side casing
tapers from about 7-1/4" at the top to 6-3/4" at the bottom in the space
between the edge of the casing and the casing on a bifold door on an
adjoining wall. It is very noticeable and I'm wondering what I can do to
make it less visible.

Here are a couple of photos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladedah...7641929664704/

Any advice appreciated!

James

Level and plumb often have little to do with what looks right. If the
bricks are out of level and you get religious about running a ceiling
line at true level, it will look wrong, no matter who is technically
right. You need to be more than willing to compromise to circumstances
and existing conditions. Forget dead true plumb (though I wonder how
you are determining) and be willing to compromise to existing
circumstances. Often, a small adjustment to each will make it look
right. Hope this helps. Over 40 working years in the business.

Well I wish I could do that but I did not realize this was an issue until my
wife painted the area and I installed the casing. I had a lot of trouble
hanging the door due to the rough frame being twisted I am not inclined to
remove it and start over. If I had installed it to make that one edge look
right the door would not have worked and would have looked terrible. I used
a 6' level for the hinge side which is standard practice and adjusted the
rest of the door frame in accordance with the way it should be done. I have
made acceptable compromises in installing three other doors in my house and
this is just one of times where I have to deal with an issue I did not
foresee.