Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Is a UL listing mandatory for specialized electrical equipment?

"bud--" wrote in message
b.com...
On 3/3/2014 3:08 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 03 Mar 2014 13:25:10 -0600, bud-- wrote:

I think if an installation was passed by the AHJ an insurance company
would have trouble denying coverage. And I would think it would have to
be rather blatant to allow non-coverage. [Maybe installing a subpanel?]

I always hear these stories about insurance "might be" denied for
unlicensed work but I think it is bull****. Most fires in homes are
caused by people doing something stupid and they still get paid.

There was a fairly recent thread here about a fire in CA where an
architect was prosecuted and convicted for installing a fireplace very
wrong, and after he told the building inspector there would be no
fireplace. Some firemen may have died in the fire??

Wonder if the insurance paid on that one.

I think all bets are off if you end up killing someone. In those cases
insurers probably feel pretty safe in questioning the claim without fearing
being penalized by the state insurance commission. It also elevates the
situation to being investigated by a government agency. They're likely to
be seen by the commission and the courts as far more impartial than an
insurance investigator.

--
Bobby G.