Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Is a UL listing mandatory for specialized electrical equipment?

wrote in message
On Sun, 2 Mar 2014 12:15:33 -0500, "Robert Green"

stuff snipped

Here's a different question. A long time ago when I had central air
installed, they added a breaker to my breaker box and ran wiring to the
outside to a disconnect and then to the A/C but no one ever came to

inspect
their work. Do A/C installers get a "pass" for things like that?

Not legally but it does happen a lot.
Another example is a water heater. Most are replaced without a permit,
most AHJs think they need one. I have even heard CBOs saying they wish
Home Depot (et al) would be required to see a permit and record the
number before they sold one

The butthead that installed my WH the last time around certainly could have
used inspecting. Thank God I had already installed a CO detector because he
had not attached the flue pipe to the chimney correctly and a week after the
install it just fell off. Unlike car exhaust, there was no tell-tale odor
of any kind (I realize CO is odorless, but with cars, you can usually smell
exhaust gas).

--
Bobby G.