Posted to sci.electronics.repair
dave dave is offline

Default Need a 72 Mhz AM receiver

On 03/05/2014 07:23 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
"dave"
Phil Allison wrote:

Other than my service monitor/spectrum analyzer which tunes .450Mhz to
1.0
Ghz FM, (only) I have no way to hear this AM signal. Does anyone have any
ideas?

** Err - ever heard of a radio scanner ?

Yer average Bearcat won't tune TV bands (or slightly big guardbands).

** Some of the cheaper scanners do seem to miss 72Mhz.

You need a wideband comms receiver like an ICOM or an AOR.

** My 20 year old AOR 1000xlt ( hand held ) scanner covers the whole range
from 100kHz to 1.3 GHz.

Demodulates AM, FM narrow and FM wide at any frequency too.

As do many others.

They go for under $100 on Ebay.

Thousands of uses ....

.... Phil

I have the 8200b3. I had to get one for work. I could never justify the
price just for the hobby, as the house was already full of "scanners".
It also has NAM (narrow AM), helpful for listening to HFBC, helpful for
Air Band. I rarely listen to either on the beast. The "b" means
"blocked", unfortunately.