Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is this for real?

On Thursday, March 6, 2014 8:43:20 AM UTC-5, Robert Macy wrote:
On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 05:38:31 -0700, Johny B Good

wrote:

...snip....

So, a bunch of electronically selectable and 'steerable magnetic

detector arrays' plus a ****load of electronics then?

I suppose it might be do-able today (Hell! who'd have thought we'd

have microprocessor chips with transistor counts measured in hundreds

of millions (last figure I saw was 135 Million nearly a decade ago).

Seems to be an incredibly 'over-engeered' solution' just to save the

need to isolate the conductors to take a current measurement though.

My guess at material cost for using 'available' components, around $200,

and DSP processing at much less than $800

Well it's for people who want to do something and not be noticed doing

it. Especially undetectably tapping a single phone line from 1 to 3 feet

away, through a wall for example, then use a short range 'retransmit' to

get it out without tracking the contact back to yourself. package

something like that in a wad of tar, so it looks innocuous, like tar

dripped from the ceiling onto the cabling, etc.

Except that from the link that's clearly not the market being
targeted and the price point obviously isn't $3K either