Posted to alt.home.repair
philo [_2_] philo [_2_] is offline

Default Is this for real?

On 03/06/2014 07:00 AM, bob haller wrote:
I prefer analog meters for many jobs. Digital meters are so sensitive the readings can be useless.

I walked under the power line at my home it must be 30 feet in the air, and my digital meter gave all sorts of readings, my analog meter ignored all the electric fields

That's why I sometimes put a resistor across the leads.

For example, I do a lot of computer work and had some issues with CMOS
batteries. They all measured 3.0 volts or above.

I put a 150 ohm resistor in parallel with them and the good ones read
about 2.5 v

The ones that dropped to zero, I discarded.