Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default HP IC, Unobtanium ?

I can't believe this.

the terminsals for the deflection plates are dual. The deflection plates run on voltage, not current. The 165 ohm resistors are simply pulling the output up to the +53 volt supply. The fact that HP decided to put the 165 ohm resistors on the other connections to the deflection plates is irrelevant as far as I can see, the only reasons are quite esoteric and beyond the scope of this discussion obviously.

If you are trying to claim thet this CRT uses some form of electromagnetic deflection rsather than electrosstatic, state your case. I can't say it is not true for sure. I said I do not know why they used the two connections per deflection plate, because as a rule they do operate electrostatically. If this CRT works on a different principle, say so.

I believe this arraingement with the plates its mainly to reduce and/or reject EMI. Either that or to eliminate or use standing waves in the plates themselves, which I find unlikely because they are too small.

I could be wrong, but I understand how this **** works, until I don't. Claim it works other than electrostatically or don't. If I am wrong, fine, but until themn it is a voltage amplifier only. It only has to overcome the capacitance of the load, which is the deflection plates. The low resistance 165 ohms iss to provide a low output impedance to this effect.

If I am wrong, explain. tell me the differnce between tis and most other eletrostaically dflected CRTs.