Chuck

Default Bowl Turning Tear-out Problem ? ? ?

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 23:43:09 -0500, "Marshall Gorrow"
wrote:

Barry,

1. Apply sanding sealer or the finish that you will be using. This will
cause the fibers to expand; they will be in a better position to be sheared
rather than "plucked". Let the sealer/finish dry overnight and the fibers
will stiffen and stick together; again, more likely to be sheared crisply.
Sometimes paste wax is enough to make the difference.

I just turned a wet, green cherry bowl, on my Jet Mini, and had the
same problem. I used the above method, but cut the cellulose sanding
sealer 50% with gum turpentine. (This is Bob Rosand's mix), let it sit
for a few minutes, gave it a quick buff and then took another pass
with the freshly-sharpened bowl gouge. It mostly cleaned it up,
although I did have a little sanding to do.

I've tried the paste wax route too, but with more variable results
than with the sanding sealer or sanding sealer mix.

So far, I've not had much luck with my Sorby scraper -- at least the
full-sized one. I've got a mini one that is pretty effective, but the
full-sized one had a crappy edge on it when I got it, and the one I've
been able to put on it since then, quite honestly, isn't a whole lot
better.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com