Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics
John Larkin[_3_] John Larkin[_3_] is offline

Default .STEP FIle ??

On Tue, 04 Mar 2014 17:09:20 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Tue, 04 Mar 2014 15:34:09 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

On Tue, 04 Mar 2014 16:19:48 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Got a request for quoting IBIS model creation, and the potential
client sent his data in .STEP file format.

I have no clue what that is.

I've made IBIS models from PWL files (which I suspect .STEP might be a
form of) and, of course, Spice files.

Any ideas?

...Jim Thompson

STEP is usually a 3D solid-model mechanical file. It's ASCII and
typically huge. Things like SolidWorks can open STEP files.

It would be very weird for anything electrical to be expresssed in a
STEP file.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Step_file

(unless someone reused the filename extension)

Yep. Methinks customer expects that an electrical model can be made
from a mechanical drawing.

...Jim Thompson

STEP is usually mechanical, but the file format is sufficiently
abstract that it might be used for other things. I've never seen it
used for anything but 3D mechanical models.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com