Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Selling House Electrical question

DerbyDad03 wrote:
dgk wrote:
I have a 1950 era rowhouse, with 100 amps and fuses. New York City. I
haven't had any issues with the power and all the fuses are 15 amps.
There is on 240 volt circut for a large AC unit which is just two of
the 15 amps combined somehow.

Is there any need to upgrade the electric before selling the house?
I've had some people tell me that 200 amps and circuit breakers are
now required. I've hardly ever blown a fuse but can do so by running
the toaster oven at the same time as the microwave. Not always, but I
avoid doing that. In fact I replaced that fuse with a circuit breaker
dressed up as a fuse, which screws in but doesn't need to be replaced
if it pops.

There are two 100 amp fuses in the fuse box (big guys), so perhaps
there is already 200 amps coming in and just 100 are in use?

You've made two contradicting statements:

"I haven't had any issues with the power" and "I've hardly ever blown a
fuse but can do so by running the toaster oven at the same time as the
microwave."

If I had to pick and choose which appliance I could use at any given time,
I'd consider it an issue with my power. In fact, when I had that exact
issue, I ran a new circuit to the kitchen so that I would never have that
"issue" again.

Of course, I've popped a breaker or two in my day by doing things like
plugging in 2 heaters at the same time or other one-offs like that, but to
not be able to use multiple "permanent" appliances at the same time would
be an issue, at least to me.

What I see happening is a potential buyer getting an inspection, having it
pointed out that the fuses and service are "minimal" and either asking for
a reduced price or walking away unless there is some compelling reason to
continue negotiations.

Hi,
When it comes to selling a house, no matter what the condition of the
house, there will be a buyer if priced right. That is my experience.
I had 5 houses built and sold old houses. Always first looker bought it.
Being reasonable I had it priced wee bit below going price. Often times
seller thinks, his house deserves certain price.(emotional sentiment
thing, I guess) If the OP's place has older electrical wiring, right off
the bat, price should be adjusted accordingly. Most important and
valuable leverage on selling a house is it's location. I always owned a
house with an unobstructed frontal view, like far away mountains, river,
park,etc.