Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Circuit panel safety question

On 3/4/2014 10:03 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
When young i 'inherited' many electrical tools from my father, such as
wire strippers and pliers. The reason he gave them to me was that they
were damaged by discharges. So, I had to file off some section of
'welded' metal blobs to make them work. Still have a few of them. He got
them from people on his job site who either didn't check, or didn't put
a red flag and tape on the breakers, or in one case 'just turned on for
a second' ?! because someone needed electricity for just that simple
little time. That someone got fired. And, everyone breathed a sigh of
relief.

I had a helper one time. I was reaching into a
roof HVAC unit to check for motor belt tension.
I heard a voice behind me say "Hey, I'm going to
turn it on to see how it works". As you can
expect, I backed away from the equipment, rapidly.

Foolishly, I did let him work with me, cleaning
carpets on another job He sprinkled water on the
shampooer (ancient equipment, two wire plug).
Told him not to, he did a second time. I fired
him again.

--
..
Christopher A. Young