Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertMacy RobertMacy is offline

Default Circuit panel safety question

On Mon, 03 Mar 2014 13:15:20 -0700, Oren wrote:

...,,,snip....
Aren't wooden ladders used by electricians? I never do anything in an
open panel, except to change a breaker or add one.

I have a great fear. Always nervous about it. Keep one hand in my
pocket. Learned a lesson being stupid and got myself shocked on a
three-way switch - the shock traveled across my chest standing on a
metal ladder.

You were indeed lucky.

When young i 'inherited' many electrical tools from my father, such as
wire strippers and pliers. The reason he gave them to me was that they
were damaged by discharges. So, I had to file off some section of 'welded'
metal blobs to make them work. Still have a few of them. He got them from
people on his job site who either didn't check, or didn't put a red flag
and tape on the breakers, or in one case 'just turned on for a second' ?!
because someone needed electricity for just that simple little time. That
someone got fired. And, everyone breathed a sigh of relief.