Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Can washing machine start capacitor test good - and still bebad?

On 03/03/2014 08:58 PM, Home Guy wrote:
philo wrote:

Test your capacitor by wiring it in series with a light bulb
(100 watt incandescent)

If it lights, the capacitor is ok

Ok, I didn't do that (but would have if the following didn't work).

Turns out that you have to have water in the drum for the agitate to
work.

To make a long story short, I had to hook up both capacitors in parallel
to get the washer to function for all settings and cycles and get no
motor buzzing or stalling.

These are complicated motors with lots of wires, and I thought I was
going to have to dick around with it as in this thread:

http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/threads/
35555-Top-Load-Kenmore-WON-T-Agitate-but-WILL-spin-and-pump-Motor-hums-when-it-should-agitate

So I'm using short wires with alligator clips to connect the
capacitors. Tommorrow I'm going to solder them together and finish the
repair.

I'm glad I didn't throw away the original capacitor, and extra glad I
was able to find it...

Hope it stays working.

I have seen capacitors lose value too, but again that is very rare.