Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Circuit panel safety question

On 3/3/2014 5:14 PM, Robert Green wrote:
Agreed. That's another interesting point. The A/C installers didn't kill
the main breaker when they installed a new 240VAC breaker for the outside
compressor. I was concerned about doing controlled shutdowns on my PCs but
they said it wasn't an issue. Obviously it's possible to install new
breakers without using the main 100A breaker or the service disconnect.

Plus don't assume anything is off. use one of those cheap neon indicators.
You hold one end, or ground it, and probe around first.

Got a very nice one with an adjustable sensitivity setting thanks to
Gfretwell's recommendation. Stuck some neo mags on it and now it lives
attached to the cover door of the panel. I figured if I made the circuit
box its home base I would never be tempted to proceed without it. Tossed my
Radio Shack Mircronta neon voltage tester because it was a piece of junk.

Thanks for your input, Robert.

--
Bobby G.

Most panels, it's no big deal to add a breaker
with the mains on. And yes, having a voltage
indicator or neon is great idea. I have some
thing like that in my tools. I often double
check with VOM to ground.

--
..
Christopher A. Young