Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Circuit panel safety question

"RobertMacy" wrote in message
newsp.xb5itwx82cx0wh@ajm...
On Sun, 02 Mar 2014 21:03:30 -0700, Robert Green
wrote:

My wife asks: "Is there any protection to be gained by placing a thick
rubber mat in front of the circuit panel where someone working on the
panel would normally stand?" It would seem it would have to help a

little.

I suspect my turning my head upside inside the box and pushing wires
aside to read the label information has got her worried again. (-:

...snip...

Most damage is done arm to arm, across the heart. Some from top to bottom,
but not quite as much.

Rubber mat is ok, but double layers of rubber gloves are better. Since
you're putting finger in there.

Why double layer? Talk to the ex-utilities employees that are on
disability for 'hurrying' a repair and NOT checking for pinhole leaks in
their gloves and then working on HOT hi-tension wires where the discharge
almost killed them.

Ah yes, been there, done that with mixing 100 gallon vats of color film
developing chemicals. Now I am a great fan of nitrile surgical gloves under
the gauntlet style rubber outer glove for noxious chemical work. But as
arthritic as my hands have become, I can't imagine being able to do any sort
of fine mechanical work "gloved up" like that. I've been looking at OSHA
rules and regs to see if they have a standard for rubber insulating devices
and they have nothing BUT standards:

Insulating equipment with any of the following defects may not be used:
1910.137(b)(2)(iii)(A)
A hole, tear, puncture, or cut;

To which I say "duh, really?"

Turn it OFF first.

Agreed. That's another interesting point. The A/C installers didn't kill
the main breaker when they installed a new 240VAC breaker for the outside
compressor. I was concerned about doing controlled shutdowns on my PCs but
they said it wasn't an issue. Obviously it's possible to install new
breakers without using the main 100A breaker or the service disconnect.

Plus don't assume anything is off. use one of those cheap neon indicators.
You hold one end, or ground it, and probe around first.

Got a very nice one with an adjustable sensitivity setting thanks to
Gfretwell's recommendation. Stuck some neo mags on it and now it lives
attached to the cover door of the panel. I figured if I made the circuit
box its home base I would never be tempted to proceed without it. Tossed my
Radio Shack Mircronta neon voltage tester because it was a piece of junk.

Thanks for your input, Robert.

--
Bobby G.