Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Long term tool storage, rust prevention?

On Mon, 3 Mar 2014 20:37:34 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

janders wrote:
Week before last, I finally received permanent residency to Australia.
It's finally gonna happen! Looks like I have buyers for most of my
machines, and by next week I finish out my last job and will be
unemployed for the first time in 33 years.

Wife's place has an open carport with gravel floor, so will be storing
my stuff here in a public storage facility until we get a slab poured
and finish it off into a proper shed.

So, I'm going to be storing several roll-aways of precision tools,
drills, cutters, etc. Seeking recommendations for something I can spray
things down to prevent any chance of rust. Going to be 6-12 months
before I have my stuff down there.

LPS has some good products, but not sure which would be best, and of
course, open to other suggestions.

I finally found use LPS2, and find it's thinner than they might want you
to think it is. It really just seems like a thick version of WD-40
(similar smell too) It does dry up pretty fast too, so the alleged to be
waxier LPS3 might be what you want for longer term storage.

The rust preventative paper is the best/simplest way to handle storage
of precision tools