Posted to alt.home.repair
BenignBodger BenignBodger is offline

Default Circuit panel safety question

On 3/2/2014 11:03 PM, Robert Green wrote:
My wife asks: "Is there any protection to be gained by placing a thick
rubber mat in front of the circuit panel where someone working on the panel
would normally stand?" It would seem it would have to help a little.

I suspect my turning my head upside inside the box and pushing wires aside
to read the label information has got her worried again. (-:

Might have something to do with my neighbor who was going to move the dryer
for his wife for her birthday and ended up breaking the main gas line. Said
the emergency gas tech that responded "it's a miracle you didn't blow
yourselves up." Fortunately the wife had the presence of mind to have
dialed "9 + 1" as he turned the wrench. It only took a second to dial the
last "1" and get emergency services. He had no idea where the shutoffs were
located, either. He figured not much gas would leak out by the time he
fitted the new flexible pipe. jeez The gas guys don't screw around,
either. They immediately shut off the gas at the meter right after they
rolled up and saw the panicked homeowners standing outside.

--
Bobby G.

Certainly it could help in some circumstances although I doubt that any
home electrical panel would need such safeguards (assuming that anybody
tinkering with the panel isn't a total arse). But if you must then you
might as well buy the real thing and not take chances that your choice
won't do the job:
http://www.highvoltagesupplies.com/s...anket-1086.cfm