Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default The Stopped Dados: (was: Talk to me about templates, routers anddouble-stick tape)

[Oops, the previous post had a bad link]

I really am having a productive weekend, by my standards anyway.
Yesterday I cut some project parts using a router template that I made,
a first for me. Today, another new adventure.

As suggested by Swingman, I redesigned my kitchen shelf unit using
stopped dadoes.:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/12861854444/

My task for today was to figure out a way to make them. I don't have
dado blades, chiefly because I don't have a saw to put them on. I make
dadoes with a router and a jig I built a couple of projects back. I
decided to try to modify the jig with some sort of "stop". Here's what I
came up with:

I made a stop that would fit in the channel of the jig out of scrap:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/12889846435/

The "tab" is to support the stop above the work. Note also the screw in
the end of the stop:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...n/photostream/

That was to provide some fine adjustability. The screw butts up against
a fixed block that I screwed in at the far end of the channel. I used
one of the shelves that will mate with the stopped dado to set the length:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...n/photostream/

I screwed the whole jig into the work surface and screwed in a "fence"
to the left of the jig for the work pieces to butt up against (for
repeatability). Too bad I could only "repeat" twice with that setup; the
other two pieces had to be mirror images, requiring me to reconfigure
the "fence" on the other side.

I also (re-)discovered what I assume is an unavoidable part of
woodworking. I spent the better part of two hours thinking up, building
and modifying the jig. Then 2 minutes actually making each cut. I guess
that's a good thing; it means the setup was easy to use. Here's video of
the brief, most rewarding part of the process:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85HD7...ature=youtu.be

Hey, you can even see me almost make a big mistake.

Next up: squaring up the ends of the dadoes.

---