Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Bleeding LCD displays

On 02/03/2014 20:25, Sjouke Burry wrote:
On 02.03.14 13:55, N_Cook wrote:
Cause and any amelioration, short of draining the liquid and starting
again (for elfin safety in nothing else), and of course unobtanium
replacement displays

Where I used to work a batch of early large LCD display Philips DVM
meters for the engineers.
Every now and then , despite warning labels, someone would leave one in
direct sunlight (UK version) for a while and the display would become
next to useless, permanently.
Presumably the LC migrates out of its assigned wells and does not go
back in them. Anyone know of a localised heat/cold/pressure treatment or
something like that ,at least, won't make matters worse , and may
actually improve the splodge a bit?

Apply 30 atm in a pressure chamber, then wait a few hours.

makes some sort of sense, I always assumed the sun-heating business was
making the fluid expand and force open the seal between the glass
sections. OK, so apply your high and even-handed pressure but how to
stop the glasses separating again?