Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Is a UL listing mandatory for specialized electrical equipment?

On 3/2/2014 9:15 AM, Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message
news
On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 18:11:06 -0500, "Robert Green"

stuff snipped

Now I am considering hard-wiring the unit to the panel and would like to
find out if the AHJ will freak out because the device is not UL listed

and
what the issues are relating to non-listed equipment. It's much harder

hide once it's permanently connected. One of the problems other X-10

users
have run into is that some inspectors have absolutely no idea what X-10

is
nor do they want to know.

If you don't have an open permit, how is the AHJ going to know you
have this thing and if you do get a permit later, this will be
"existing" and if it is not in the scope of the new permit, they still
will not say anything most of the time..

The NSA will tell them. Or Yahoo will hijack my webcam and show them.
humor alert

It would be my luck that they took pictures or good notes. I know, arf arf.

Thanks, I'm not as worried as I was.

Here's a different question. A long time ago when I had central air
installed, they added a breaker to my breaker box and ran wiring to the
outside to a disconnect and then to the A/C but no one ever came to inspect
their work. Do A/C installers get a "pass" for things like that?

--
Bobby G.

My A/C installer called a licensed electrician who got a permit.
Was inspected. Failed because the breaker they installed did not
have the correct sticker on it.
Breaker had to be replaced.
Inspector didn't even look at the wiring, just the stickers on the
breaker and external disconnect.
In Oregon.