Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Talk to me about templates, routers and double-stick tape

On 3/1/2014 11:45 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

I proceeded to make the four pieces. It was remarkably quick and I like
the results. Fun too. I can already see ways that I might have improved
the process. I will definitely be doing more of this sort of thing in
the future.

Just a few, of dozens, curve making concepts:

Download SU 2014, there are a couple of new ways to make arcs.

Use the SU "Bezier Curve" plug-in to make your curves.

Cut a 1/8" thick strip off the edge of a board long enough to make your
curve; drill a small hole in each end and use a piece of string, like a
bow string, to bend the strip to the proper curve, thusly:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/images/i...520s1b.jpg?c=2

Using that same thin strip, hammer in some small finish nails in the
appropriate spots to bend the strip around for the curve you want.

Use purchased or homemade pencil compasses of various sizes to make your
curves.

Cheap plastic "French Curves", available at any office supply store, of
various sizes are hard to beat for laying out curves, particularly when
using it in conjunction with that compass, or the appropriate sizes edge
of a can, a lid or a bucket.

A "pattern maker's rasp" is a nice thing to have when fairing curves in
your template.

When fairing a curve, cut a thin, flexible strip off the edge of a scrap
board and glue your sandpaper to that. Putting little wooden
"knobs/blocks" on each end makes it easier to hold and to keep the
faired edges perpendicular to the face.

Often attaching sandpaper on the edge of the off cut when rough cutting
your curve will make a good fairing tool.

An "oscillating spindle sander" is a good investment if you are going to
be doing furniture with a lot of curved parts. Great for both making
your templates, and for smoothing/making perpindicular the curve edges
in the work piece.

Most important: Make the effort, and take all the time you need, to make
your curved templates PERFECT, for you will eventually save more time in
its use than you will in the making of it.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net