Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Odors from polyurethane

On 3/1/14 5:41 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/1/2014 4:35 PM, Rebel1 wrote:
It's been at least four months since I sanded the floor/shelf of my bay
window down to bare wood and applied several coats of Minwax Fast-Drying
Polyurethane, clear semi-gloss. Just recently it started emitting an
unpleasant odor.

Some cut.

Even fast drying poly needs a few weeks to fully cure. My guess is the
cool temperatures and wean sun for a few month allowed it to retain some
aromatics. Now that the sun is stronger and you will be keeping the
temp a bit higher it may finally out-gas and stop smelling.

The wax may prolong the process. I'd try to keep it as warm and dry as
possible. The sun will help.

Would a good old fashioned fan help any?