Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT. Another "black box"

On Saturday, March 1, 2014 2:46:57 PM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per :

And you had NO indication the alternator had failed???

No doubt, the vehicle tried to tell me some way or another - if nothing

else, the battery charge rate would have dropped to zero.

But if I am driving, I'm not studying the dashboard. An audible alarm

would get my attention. A blinking light probably would too. But low

numbers on gauges definitely get lost for me.

Yeah, "instrument scan" and all that.... but in practice, I'm looking at

the road and my mirrors.

--

Pete Cresswell

I know someone that had a very similar experience in an SUV.
The alternator had failed and from the first indication they had
to the car going dead was just a couple of miles, enough to make
a parkway exit, but that was it. I agree that you sure would think
you'd get a lot more notice, but either they didn't or whatever notice
there was was not attention grabbing.